[Haskell-cafe] PVP question

Bardur Arantsson spam at scientician.net
Mon Dec 15 19:39:31 UTC 2014

On 2014-12-15 20:24, Dan Burton wrote:
> Was that sufficiently unhelpful? :P I think my conclusion is perhaps that
> the PVP should remain undefined on this particular question, since I see no
> obvious answer. Or, since the PVP already encourages a cautious
> over-estimate of what constitutes a breaking change, perhaps we should go
> with this fallback: "when in doubt, call it a major change."

I'd add that the level of caution should definitely also be a function
of the number of (published) reverse dependencies that the package in
question has.

(I wouldn't be too worried about unpublished reverse dependencies; if
you keep your code hidden from the world, it's *your* problem to deal
with breakage that cannot be foreseen by the authors of your dependencies.)

Regards,