[Haskell-cafe] managing local cabal package database

Carl Eyeinsky eyeinsky9 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 12:34:32 UTC 2014

Hi Daniel (and other readers),

the use case is that if I have several versions of the private dependency.

I.e I develop a project A, and after a while I find, that part of it wold
be useful to break out to another package, so I make a package X and list
it as dependencie. Here, 'add-source' works. BUT, some time later I'm done
with A, and start developing B, and include X as a dependencie. Then, I
find that X could use some improvements -- but after these my project A
probably breaks due to these changes. The solution, of course, is
versioning, but I think 'add-source' doesn't help there anymore (right?),
unless I copy the head to another directory and do the improvements there.

This last mentioned way (of leaving a trail of previous versions) is a
manual way of version management. What I was thinking of is that, is there
some paved solution available (short of running my own Hackage, which some
do, as I've been reading.)

Sorry -- I should have been much more explicit!

Cheers,

On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 10:00 AM, Daniel Trstenjak <
daniel.trstenjak at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Carl,
>
> > I'm wondering what do you guys use as the general method in developing
> projects
> > using your own private projects?
>
> Using a 'cabal sandbox' and its command 'add-source' to add a local
> library seems to be the way to go.
>

> Greetings,
> Daniel

Carl Eyeinsky