[Haskell-cafe] [ANN] servant 0.2 - trying to rethink webservices and APIs

Alp Mestanogullari alpmestan at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 15:05:19 UTC 2014

Hello -cafe,

These past few weeks, with Sönke Hahn and Julian Arni, we've been working
on a complete rewrite of servant, a library whose aim is to assist as much
as possible in writing webservices.

We came up with a (type-level) "API combinator" based design, that lets us
declare webservice APIs, implement handlers that serve those APIs, derive
client functions in Haskell and Javascript to query those endpoints and
generate documentation. This is all very composable, you can write your own
combinators or write your own interpretation of an API's type, or just use
the "standard" ones already provided by the core library.

Here's an announcement post with an example:
http://alpmestan.com/posts/2014-12-09-rethinking-webservices-apis-haskell.html
Getting started guide: http://haskell-servant.github.io/getting-started/
The reddit discussion (in case you prefer reddit to here for such
discussions):
http://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/2orb8t/rethinking_webservice_and_apis_in_haskell_servant/

All 4 libraries are installable with a simple 'cabal install', have a
decent amount of documentation and accompanying examples.

We would be glad to hear any kind of feedback or ideas -- we're already
deploying servant webservices in our respective companies so it suits our
use cases, but we would gladly discuss new combinators and what not.

--
Alp Mestanogullari