[Haskell-cafe] Problem finding rewrite rules

Dominik Peteler haskell at with-h.at
Thu Aug 28 20:40:00 UTC 2014

Dear Cafe,

I'm currently looking at the optimization GHC is doing and I cannot find
the rewrite rules it fires. When I run my test code with

    ghc -O2 -ddump-simpl-stats -ddump-rule-firings Main.hs

GHC shows the rules which are fired:

    Rule fired: Class op +
    Rule fired: +##

and so on. Nothing new, nothing special.
However, where do I find the definitions of these rules ?
I grepped[1] the GHC code base and found nothing so far. I didn't find any
documentation on it either.

Can anyone point me to some place where I can find further information ?

Thank you folks and have a nice day

Dominik

PS.: Since I'm working on numerical stable code with directed rounding
I'm only interested in these two particular rules. I suspect them to
break parts of my code.

[1] http://jamie-wong.com/2013/07/12/grep-test