[Haskell-cafe] "Hackathon"

Tikhon Jelvis tikhon at jelv.is
Thu Aug 28 19:00:12 UTC 2014

The meaning has narrowed in certain circles. Just like "meme" has come to
mean "picture with white text" to certain people, "hackathon" refers to a
more specific sort of event among college students (that I'm familiar
with). Many US universities have had small scale competitive hackathons in
the past, and now, after the success of PenApps, have adopted *very*
similar models for their events. So now that's what "hackathon" refers to:
working on a brand new project in a set time with little/no sleep followed
by some sort of presentations and judging. Pretty structured and
self-contained. And very different from the Haskell events!

It's also a bit tricky because the *Hac events are pretty different from
each other. BayHac and Hac φ felt similar in 2013, but both were very
different from BayHac 2014 (which I enjoyed the most of the three). Perhaps
it doesn't even make sense to use the same term for all of them, but then
I'm really not sure what to do!