[Haskell-cafe] Haskell Platform 2014 build problems on OS X

Carter Schonwald carter.schonwald at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 23:33:55 UTC 2014

basically the problem is theres no one actively "owning" the brew formula
for ghc or platform AND also famliar with haskell.  if someone was willing
to be the "proactive owner" on the brew formula, i'm happy to help them
when they hit tricky OS X issues, but baring that development, I avoid
using Brew to manage GHC/Haskell platform like the plague, and advise
others thusly.

the Brew GHC formula is painfully out of date and kinda iffy .
https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew/blob/master/Library/Formula/ghc.rb

It still defaults to 7.6 despite 7.6 being hosed on more modern build envs
unless you install userland GCC  (which then in turn breaks any haskell
package that assumes a suitable mac friendly / objective ), AND the GHC 7.8
version it provides is 7.8.2 which had many nasty bugs and is no .

Additionally, theres ZERO good reason to expose "build from source" option
for the GHC formula.  AND that has a complicated bootstrap process owing to
their focus on 7.6 support, which would go away if they switch to a "7.8
only" motif.

the GHC OS X build that Mark used for the newest haskell platform build
will work with OS X 10.6-10.1. Doing a binary install of that bindist
(./configure --prefix=$brewGHCprefix ; make install; link the executables
into path) should be the full extent of the brew formula.