[Haskell-cafe] Conduit+GHC high memory use for simple Sink

Dan Burton danburton.email at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 22:39:06 UTC 2014

Michael, I don't see how your code sample for (3) is any different to the
compiler than Roman's original sink2.

I also don't see how the original sink2 creates a bad bind tree. I presume
that the reason "fold" works is due to the streaming optimization rule, and
not due to its implementation, which looks almost identical to (3).

I worry about using fold in this case, which is only strict up to WHNF, and
therefore wouldn't necessarily force the integers in the tuples; instead it
would create tons of integer thunks, wouldn't it? Roman's hand-coded sink2
avoids this issue so I presume that's not what is causing his memory woes.

-- Dan Burton