[Haskell-cafe] lightweight web interface for Haskell?

Luite Stegeman stegeman at gmail.com
Sun Aug 24 12:19:46 UTC 2014

On Sat, Aug 23, 2014 at 8:43 PM, Tikhon Jelvis <tikhon at jelv.is> wrote:

> Perhaps tryhaskell.org matches what you're looking for? It comes with an
> interactive tutorial which might be a good place to start—or, if you want,
> I'm sure you could use it to set up your own tutorial just by changing the
> code. However, I think it's mainly interactive and doesn't support writing
> and loading modules.
>
> It's a shame that paste.hskll.org is down, especially because it had
> support for the diagrams library.

I moved the service to a new machine because a hard drive in the old one
died, but unfortunately I had some trouble restarting the evaluation
service (it has to be started in some special way, in an SELinux sandbox).
I managed to get it up and running now.

Codeworld is quite cool, but unfortunately Chris' goal of teaching
programming with a simplified variant of Haskell might not align with the
course's goals of teaching Haskell.

I've mostly finished updating/completing the Gloss backend for GHCJS
though. It supports keyboard and mouse input now, so you can really create
games with it. The main loop is a bit glitchy still (sometimes draws older
frames), it keeps hogging CPU even if the tab is in the background and
sprites are not supported yet, so I still have a bit of work to do [1] [2] .

If anyone is interested in setting up a Codeworld instance that uses Gloss
instead of Codeworld's own simplified Haskell graphics library, I'd be
happy to help. Students should be able to copy/paste their working code in
a local file and compile it unchanged with native Gloss to get an
application that runs in a GLUT/OpenGL window (and it should be reasonably
easy to install that even on Windows now that the Haskell Platform comes
with freeglut).

At this point, it's unfortunately not yet possible to easily add a proper
REPL easily to projects like Codeworld. Most of the infrastructure is
already there (it's used for Template Haskell among other things), but it's
missing a front end. Hopefully after GHCJS is (finally) released on Hackage
and I've finished the new codegen and filled the biggest holes in the
libraries I'll have some time to implement GHCJSi.

luite

[1] http://hdiff.luite.com/tmp/boids.jsexe/ (from gloss-examples)
[2] http://hdiff.luite.com/tmp/pinhole.jsexe/ (by Omar Rizman, posted here:
http://rsnous.com/posts/2014-08-07-pinhole-a-falling-ball-demo.html )