[Haskell-cafe] Vector sort poor performance

Bryan O'Sullivan bos at serpentine.com
Thu Aug 21 23:18:23 UTC 2014

On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 3:51 PM, Alexander Pakhomov <ker0sin at ya.ru> wrote:

> Which GHC version do you use?
> With 7.6.3 I have all the same BUT Optimal'/10 260 ns. It's better than
> 1200 ns
> but still bad. Also there are INLINEs everywhere at vector-algorithms.
> Seems to be compiler problem.

There's a lot of sensitivity in the compiler to exactly how and which rules
are specified. I already brought up this regression with Dan a few weeks
ago, and we didn't come up with a good way to deal with it. I don't think
it's quite fair to call it a compiler problem, so much as just a change
that caused a previously-good-but-fragile behaviour to now not be so good.