[Haskell-cafe] Does GHC compare pointers when eval'ing (==)

Johan Holmquist holmisen at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 13:16:03 UTC 2014

To summarise, the points raised sofar against this optimisation are,
roughly, as follows.

* More expensive to compare two values which aren't equal.

I think the potential gain of the optimisation might outweigh the cost in
the general case.

(Also, the optimisation would not have to be triggered for simple values
like Char, Int and Double.)

* Dodgy Eq instances may break the optimisation

But may also break other stuff and should be avoided anyway.

* _|_ will not necessarily yield _|_ on comparison

This seems the biggest problem sofar to me, that (5,_|_) == (5,_|_) would
be _|_ if both pairs where at different memory locations and True
otherwise. But perhaps not a big deal in practice.

* Disrupts other compiler optimisation opportunities

My knowledge about compilers is lacking so I cannot comment this.

Interesting that this was implemented by hbc. Would be nice to know if it
led to problems.