[Haskell-cafe] ghc-mod v5.0.0

Kazu Yamamoto (=?iso-2022-jp?B?GyRCOzNLXE9CSScbKEI=?=) kazu at iij.ad.jp
Wed Aug 20 07:29:13 UTC 2014

Hi cafe,

We are happy to announce that ghc-mod v5.0.0 has been released.
Highlights of this version is as follows:

- ghc-mod v4.x.y is suffering from the space leak of GHC
  7.8.x(*1). So, ghc-modi consumes huge memory. ghc-modi v5.0.0
  consumes much less memory thanks to workaround.

- Alejandro Serrano merges his results of Google Summer of Code. He
  implements case splitting and sophisticated type hole handling.
  I believe that he will write an article on his results but
  I also updated the manual of Emacs fronted. (*2)

- Daniel Gröber brushed up the internal code by bringing the GhcMod
  monad. So, the API of ghc-mod drastically changed. If you are users
  of the ghc-mod library, you should check its document.

The main purpose of this release is to show the results of GSoC to
everyone. This is a snapshot release and its API would change in the
future.

I thank two guys above since they worked hard and did good jobs.
We hope that everyone enjoys v5.0.0.

(*1) https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/9314
(*2) http://www.mew.org/~kazu/proj/ghc-mod/en/emacs.html

--Kazu