[Haskell-cafe] Cannot install the Haskell Platform on GNU/Linux (possible Cabal issue)

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 21:41:28 UTC 2014

On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 5:33 PM, egarrulo <egarrulo at gmail.com> wrote:

> $ ./platform.sh \
>   >    --prefix=/opt/haskell-platform/haskell-platform-2014.2.0.0 \
>   >    ../ghc-7.8.3/ghc-7.8.3-i386-unknown-linux.tar.bz2
>   ./platform.sh: 24: cabal: not found

That strikes me as slightly off, I'd expect it to install an appropriate
one from the bootstrap. If not, you'll need
http://www.haskell.org/cabal/release/cabal-install-1.20.0.3/cabal-install-1.20.0.3.tar.gz
and use the bootstrap install method (bootstrap.sh from the install
package). The complication here is that it might pull in dependencies that
differ from the Platform, which is why I would expect the Platform install
script to do this itself so it can manage the dependencies appropriately.