[Haskell-cafe] Closed Type Family Simplification

Richard Eisenberg eir at cis.upenn.edu
Thu Aug 14 11:42:42 UTC 2014

Erik's analysis agrees with mine: type families can never be partially applied, and the fact that Ian's latest example is accepted  as a syntactically correct program is a straightforward bug in GHC. If you try that code on GHC 7.8.2, it will fail.

Type families can *never* be partially applied. (Data families are another story, though...)

Richard

On Aug 14, 2014, at 5:17 AM, Erik Hesselink <hesselink at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think partially applied type synonyms (and type families) are
> supposed to be disallowed, but I recently found out that since GHC
> 7.8, this is not the case anymore, but you get very weird other type
> errors instead. I filed a bug [0], perhaps yours is a similar issue.
>
> Erik
>
> [0] https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/9433#ticket
>
> On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 5:48 AM, Ian Milligan <ianmllgn at gmail.com> wrote:
>> This is enough to demonstrate this error:
>>
>> {-# LANGUAGE TypeFamilies #-}
>> {-# LANGUAGE RankNTypes #-}
>>
>> module TypeFamilyTest where
>>

>> type family B f g a where B f g a = f (g a)
>> newtype C f a = C (f a)
>> t :: (forall a. a -> f a) -> (forall a. a -> g a) -> a -> C (B f g) a
>> t f g a = C (f (g a))
>>
>> Is it not possible to use type families in this way?
>>

>> On Wednesday, August 13, 2014 8:39:09 PM UTC-7, Ian Milligan wrote:
>>>
>>> I suspect the problem happens because I am trying to use a partially
>>> applied type family with a type constructor. However, in trying to replicate
>>> the problem I ran into another strange error message with the following
>>> program (using tagged and constraints as I was trying to keep it as close to
>>> the original program as possible)
>>>
>>> {-# LANGUAGE TypeFamilies #-}
>>> {-# LANGUAGE ConstraintKinds #-}
>>> {-# LANGUAGE RankNTypes #-}