[Haskell-cafe] Updating code to work with vinyl 0.4

Mateusz Kowalczyk fuuzetsu at fuuzetsu.co.uk
Mon Aug 11 09:43:58 UTC 2014

Hi,

I'm looking for some help in helping to migrate to vinyl-0.4 from
earlier version. I'll first outline how I currently have things set up
and then ask a few questions. For reference the whole project is at [1].
You can just skip to questions in the end if you want to.

I have a small project which goes out to a few sites, fetches some
similar XML data, parses some fields and returns a data type. My
original attempt was to generate a data type per site but that was very
ugly: couldn't reuse functions, accessors, anything. So I then turned to
vinyl and have the following solution:

I have a bunch of common fields defined like this:

--
file_url ∷ "file_url" ::: String
file_url = Field

parent_id ∷ "parent_id" ::: Maybe Integer
parent_id = Field
--
and so on.

I'm using HXT to process the XML I get from each site so I have created
many HXT arrows creating each field like this:

--
parent_idA ∷ (Functor (cat XmlTree), ArrowXml cat) ⇒
             cat XmlTree (PlainRec '["parent_id" ::: Maybe Integer])

Then for each site I define records like this

--
type GelbooruPost = PlainRec
  '[ "height" ::: Integer

and create the final HXT arrow which will parse and run my value parsers
on the whole output

--
parsePost ∷ (Functor (cat XmlTree), ArrowXml cat) ⇒ cat XmlTree GelbooruPost
parsePost = hasName "post"
  >>> heightA <:+> scoreA <:+> file_urlA <:+> parent_idA <:+> sample_urlA
  <:+> sample_widthA <:+> sample_heightA <:+> preview_urlA <:+> ratingA
  <:+> tagsA <:+> idA <:+> widthA <:+> changeA <:+> md5A <:+> creator_idA
  <:+> has_childrenA <:+> created_atA <:+> statusA <:+> sourceA <:+>
has_notesA
  <:+> has_commentsA <:+> preview_widthA <:+> preview_heightA
--

This works OK: I have similar records for each site and vinyl let me use
the same accessors to work over the data from each site without much

As per tutorial I converted all my fields to this format:

--
data Fields = Height | Score | FileUrl | ParentId | SampleUrl | …
--

Then generated singletons and made universe:

--
genSingletons [ ''Fields ]
makeUniverse' ''Fields "ElF"

As you can see I have a problem here already: I don't know how to
specify ‘Maybe Integer’ or ‘[String]’ in the way that is accepted.
Previously I would just do "tags ::: [String]" and it worked.

I also wonder what things like:

--
PlainRec '["parent_id" ::: Maybe Integer])
--

now become. “PlainRec ElF (ParentId ': '[])” works but is ugly, is there
a shorthand for singletons? This is assuming I can convince the ParentId

Lastly I'd like to know why trivial examples such as this

--
a ∷ PlainRec ElF (Score ': '[])
a = SScore =: 7

require a type signature. While I put down the signatures anyway, I
wonder if there's a way to skip them. I suppose using the field in an
annotated record somewhere might let me do this. I imagine the problem
here is that we need to specify ElF.

Perhaps I am meant to approach this whole thing differently which is why
I laid out the structure a bit rather than just asking about syntax. I
have watched the video at [2] and while the new records do sound better,
I can't find a good guide on how to use them. The tutorial on GitHub[3]
is rather lacking. If someone knows about more guides then I'd love to
hear about that too.

Thanks!

[1]: http://github.com/Fuuzetsu/h-booru
[2]: http://vimeo.com/102785458