[Haskell-cafe] Visualising Haskell function execution

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Sat Aug 9 20:08:26 UTC 2014

On Thu, Aug 7, 2014 at 10:30 PM, Jan Paul Posma <me at janpaulposma.nl> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> Last weekend my friend Steve and I did a small project for visualising
> Haskell function execution in the browser. It's meant to be used in
> education, and uses a tiny custom parser. I figured it could be of interest
> for anyone here learning or teaching Haskell:
> https://stevekrouse.github.io/hs.js/
>
> To see it in action, scroll a bit down to the red bordered box, and click
> on "map", and then keep clicking on each new line.
>
> I hope it can be useful to someone.

Thanks for posting this! It looks potentially quite useful, especially in
an educational context. I think the part that's missing for me is that it
doesn't make it so explicit that pattern matching is what typically forces
evaluation, here you simply decide where to evaluate by clicking on that
part of the term. Maybe there could be an implicit "print" forcing
evaluation or something like that could be useful?

-bob