[Haskell-cafe] Fwd: Default stdout buffering of child processof createProcess

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sun Aug 3 19:08:39 UTC 2014

On Sun, Aug 3, 2014 at 2:43 PM, Elliot Robinson <
elliot.robinson at argiopetech.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 2, 2014 at 3:54 AM, Donn Cave <donn at avvanta.com> wrote:
>
>> Handles are for buffered I/O.
>

> If this is the case, why is NoBuffering provided? Why does the
> documentation for Handle explicitly mention non-existent and zero-length
> buffers? If Handles are the standard cross-platform interface to buffered
> file IO, what is the standard cross-platform interface to unbuffered IO
> (output, specifically, since input is technically always at least 1 byte
> buffered)?

Handles provide a non-buffered interface, but often if you truly need
unbuffered I/O you will be better suited by the platform's primitive
operations; for which abstractions that enable some kind of reasonably
platform independent interface may well cancel out the advantages of
unbuffered I/O for those cases.