[Haskell-cafe] Unicode Haskell source -- Yippie!

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 04:23:39 UTC 2014

On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 6:46 AM, Richard A. O'Keefe <ok at cs.otago.ac.nz>wrote:

> On 25/04/2014, at 5:15 AM, Rustom Mody wrote:
> > x ÷ y   = divMod x y
>
> This one looks wrong to me.
> In common usage, ÷ indicates plain old division,
> e.g., 3÷2 = 1½.
> See for example http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_mathematical_symbols
>
> One possibility would be
>
> > x ÷ y = x / y :: Rational
>

> Thanks Richard for (as usual!) look at that list with a fine-toothed comb

I started with writing a corresponding list for python:
http://blog.languager.org/2014/04/unicoded-python.html

As you will see I mention there that ÷ mapped to divMod is one but hardly
the only possibility.

That list is mostly about math, not imperative features and so carries over
from python to haskell mostly unchanged.

Please (if you have 5 minutes) glance at it and give me your comments. I
may then finish a similar one for Haskell.

Thanks
Rusi

--
http://www.the-magus.in