[Haskell-cafe] Unicode Haskell source -- Yippie!

Niklas Hambüchen mail at nh2.me
Thu Apr 24 21:07:57 UTC 2014

A smart, recently proposed alternative is using a font that does this
automatically for you: https://github.com/i-tu/Hasklig

In my opinion, this gives you all benefits of unicode syntax without
imposing the drawbacks on others, and you don't even have to set up a
custom input method to conveniently type them in.

Quoting:

Some Haskell programmers have resorted to unicode symbols in code as a
solution (⇒, ← etc.). This opens a whole new can of worms. In addition
to encoding/compatibility problems and all the reasons it never worked
out for APL, these symbols are one-character-wide and therefore
eye-strainingly small.

Hasklig solves this problem the way typographers have always solved
ill-fitting characters which co-occur often: ligatures. The underlying
code stays the same — only the representation changes.