[Haskell-cafe] Imports at bottom, why not?

Alexander Kjeldaas alexander.kjeldaas at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 23:33:25 UTC 2014

I think it's a great idea.  Go for it.

"Real" haskell, similar to "real" java and C++ contains a long list of
imports, much longer than what you typically have in toy examples.  This
leads to IDEs needing to hide them, because when they start growing, they
start being noisy.

Regarding the informational value in imports, I've written elisp support
for both java and haskell where the imports are "guessed" based on compiler
feedback/errors.  The result of this is that very simple heuristics
(looking at other open buffers to see what they use for example) is able to
guess the imports in 99% of the cases.

This means that the imports have little informational value.  If a simple
program can write the missing code, it is unlikely that it contributes much
to a reader's comprehension of the code.  I think, based on the success my
auto-imports helper has for my code that the information value is inversely
proportional to the number of files a reader has seen in the project.  Some
imports correlate between projects and these mostly standardized imports
have even less informational value.

I think the more "industrial" the code is, the more moving parts it
juggles, the more imports will be used and the more readability is gained
by putting them at the bottom.

Based on the redundancy in this information, maybe there are other ways to
innovate around representing this information more succinct and useful
across multiple files in projects.

Alexander