[Haskell-cafe] Info on dependencies among libs distributed with ghc?

Jens Petersen juhp at community.haskell.org
Tue Apr 22 02:37:44 UTC 2014

On 21 April 2014 21:10, Joachim Breitner <mail at joachim-breitner.de> wrote:

> Am Montag, den 21.04.2014, 11:38 +0200 schrieb Magnus Therning:
> > Then I have to say it is rather irritating that there is no way for me
> > to safely provide the latest version of cabal-install!
>
> the same problem affects Debian, and I find it equally irritating. Not
> sure how Fedora handles this – Jens, did you find a problem around this?

I haven't really. I think I will just ship cabal-install-1.18 in Fedora 21
with ghc-7.8.

> One possibility would be to manually bundle the Cabal and cabal-install
> sources into one (dpkg supports source packages with multiple original
> tarballs), build the new Cabal just to be used to build cabal-install
> and link that statically (which is the default). This would provide an
> up-to-date cabal-install binary without having to ship a new Cabal
> version as a library.

Right, this is what I do in my Copr repo (Fedora equivalent of OBS/PPA).

> Or does cabal-install require the matching version

of Cabal to be registered to work?

I don't think so, but I believe some of the latest functionality needs
Cabal >= 1.18 to work.

Alternatively it might be possible to build ghc with a newer Cabal. Not
> sure what that might break.

Right that should work I guess.

(Personally I still wish for bundling cabal-install with ghc
though that doesn't help with this of course, except
then you could replace with a newer cabal-install too.;)

Jens