[Haskell-cafe] Info on dependencies among libs distributed with ghc?

Herbert Valerio Riedel hvr at gnu.org
Mon Apr 21 08:38:51 UTC 2014

On 2014-04-21 at 07:35:32 +0200, Magnus Therning wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 20, 2014 at 06:01:33PM -0400, Carter Schonwald wrote:
>> yup. go crazy :)
>
> What other packages that are shipped with Ghc can I update without
> running into the diamond-dependency problem?
>
> Package          | Safe to update
> =================================
> Cabal            | ✓

Problems can arise though, if you install packages which start linking
against the newer Cabal package, and then you happen to need to link
those together with the 'ghc' package (which currently depends on the
Cabal lib bundled with the GHC distro), then you got yourself a
diamond-dep problem nevertheless

If that poses no problem to you, many of the packages listed below
(except for the wired-in packages, namely: base, ghc-prim, integer-gmp,
and template-haskell), could be regarded similarly "safe to update"
(more so in a Cabal sandbox)

just look at the output of

 ghc-pkg dot --global | dotty  -

and look out for those packages that are only depended upon directly by
GHC (minus the aforementioned wired-in packages)