[Haskell-cafe] Syntax proposal for "reverse apply"/"pipeline apply" (flip ($))

Alexey Muranov alexey.muranov at gmail.com
Sun Apr 20 12:53:23 UTC 2014

On 20 avr. 2014, at 13:48, Tim Matthews <tim.matthews7 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think Applicative's use of <*> and <**> means that reverse fmap, ie reverse <$> should be <$$>

This looks consistent to me.  Excuse me however for being a bit repetitive, i just want to state more clearly my previous argument in favour of summetric arrow-like notation for "apply" and "reverse apply."

In Haskell wiki book, in the introduction to monads, it is written:

    let x = foo in bar

corresponds to

    (\x -> bar) foo

and

    x <- foo; bar

corresponds to

    foo >>= (\x -> bar)

IMO it would be nice to be able rewrite here:

    let x  = foo in bar

corresponds to

    foo \- (\x -> bar)

or something like that.