[Haskell-cafe] Minimal Haskell Platform & Syntax proposal for "reverse apply"/"pipeline apply" (flip ($))

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Fri Apr 18 14:10:39 UTC 2014

On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 5:31 AM, Johan Tibell <johan.tibell at gmail.com>wrote:

> We use this "don't reopen issues unless circumstances have changed" policy
> for HP package proposals*. I think it's a good policy, as it saves valuable
> community energy to discuss new things. If things have truly changed, we
> can of course have the discussion again.

Where can I find that information? I went looking through the HP pages on
Haskell.org, and couldn't turn up anything on contributions, or
suggestions, or similar things. I found one link to a github repository,
but it didn't have a README :-(.

> * We took the policy from Python's PEP proposal policy.

While I'm relatively new to the Haskell community, I've been part of the
Python community since I had to explain to my clients what Python was. One
of the things that's always impressed me about that community is it's
devotion to maintaining the zen of the language. I've watched it grow the
official (as in "import this") zen, and the PEP process, and watched
various PEPS go through the process. I've even written a few myself, though
I only submitted one, which was rejected.

Watching the discussion of the syntax proposal reminds me of watching some
of the discussions about Python language changes - though if we have a
BDFL, I haven't heard of them. That's also how discussions about the Python
standard library looked (they're part of the PEP process now). If we want
the HP to be generally useful - not just something to make beginners lives
easier or provide hard-to-use tools - it needs to be dealt with with equal
care. I'd like to contribute to that process.

So, questions that I couldn't find answers to:

Is there a Haskell equivalent to a Python PEP? Should there be?

Is there a place to discus HP issues, other than here?

If I want to contribute to the development of the HP, where should I start?

Thanks,
Mike