[Haskell-cafe] Syntax proposal for "reverse apply"/"pipeline apply" (flip ($))

Dan Burton danburton.email at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 01:41:01 UTC 2014

Interesting. I've never seen it proposed as right-associative before. Just
FYI, the implementation is as simple as this:

infixr 1 |^
x |^ f = f x

Then you can write:

3 |^ 2 |^ (^) -- produces 2^3 = 8

It seems very odd to me. I don't know why you'd want to apply the arguments
backwards one by one. However, lens and diagrams both provide examples
where you want to start with a value and apply functions "forwards" one by
one, which is why their corresponding operators are left-associative.

-- Dan Burton