[Haskell-cafe] Current status of Mavericks CPP

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 14:00:05 UTC 2014

On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 7:24 AM, Sven Panne <svenpanne at gmail.com> wrote:

> My point is: Do we really know that conditional compilation is *the*
> use case? I remember that in ancient days macros were used to generate
> instances etc. Make things as simple as possible, but not simpler.

It's the most common one but pretty sure it's not the only one --- and,
supporting conditional compilation may involve only a tiny subset of cpp in
the user's code, but a fair bit more in terms of what cabal-install has to
generate for those triplet macros to exist for user code to use. There are
ANSI features we don't need (assertions, token splicing) but everything
else probably gets used one way or another.