[Haskell-cafe] Confused about type seen in the wild

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 18:07:42 UTC 2014

On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 2:03 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com>wrote:

> Actually, what I'm saying is that it might be difficult to reliably catch
> it at that point; consider that the parse leading to that interpretation
> may not exist within ghc at that point, only an AST that may have been
> rearranged by uses of ConstraintKinds so as to lose its direct relationship
> to the parse that initially led to it.

Or worse, this is happening inside the typechecker and the tree it's
manipulating has *no* relationship to the original parse or its AST, such
that it has no idea whether it was on the wrong side of an =>. Depends on
the internal representations used by the typechecker, and most likely doing
it right means carrying around a lot more information than it currently
does.