[Haskell-cafe] Haddock markup questions

Christiaan Baaij christiaan.baaij at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 16:22:02 UTC 2014

Hello list,

I have two questions regarding proper markup for my haddock documentation.
I'm using the latest released haddock, version 2.14.2.

The first is about deprecation pragma's and operators usint '<' and '>'
I have the following deprecation message:

> {-# DEPRECATED Comp "Use 'Applicative' interface and ('<^>') instead" #-}

Haddock however generates the following:
http://christiaanb.github.io/clash-prelude/CLaSH-Prelude.html#t:Comp

Where 'Applicative' gets a proper link to the applicative type class... but
'<^>' is translated to a link to '^'... which is a page that doesn't exists.

I can get haddock to not generate a link using:

> > {-# DEPRECATED Comp "Use 'Applicative' interface and ('\\<^\\>')
instead" #-}

But that's unwanted, as those backslashes show up in GHC(i) messages.
So: how do I get haddock to not parse my '<^>' operator as a link/URL?

My second question is again about getting links to operators in general.
If you take a look at, e.g.,
http://hackage.haskell.org/package/base-4.7.0.0/docs/Control-Applicative.html
You can see that proper documentation links are generated to the '<*>' and
such operators.
However, if you take a look at the documention I tried to generate for my
library:
http://christiaanb.github.io/clash-prelude/CLaSH-Signal-Implicit.html#v:-60--94-
You can see that the referenced '^>' operator does not get a proper link.
So my question: how do I get haddock to create proper links for my
referenced operators.

I should note that I create haddock docs using 'cabal haddock' instead of
calling haddock directly.

Best regards,

Christiaan