[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE slot-lambda

Tillmann Rendel rendel at informatik.uni-marburg.de
Tue Apr 8 12:37:04 UTC 2014

Hi,

Ducis asked about SugarHaskell:
> Does it depend on Stratego/XT?

SugarHaskell uses Stratego and SDF, but all necessary tools are bundled,
so you only need a Java virtual machine (and maybe a Java compiler, not
sure). Most of the tools are bundled as Java class files. Two tools
(sdf2table and implodePT) are bundled as a statically linked executable
for common platforms. On a non-common platform, you would have to
compile these from their C sources.

There is a release of SugarHaskell on hackage:

   http://hackage.haskell.org/package/sugarhaskell

The tarball consists mostly of *.jar files and native executables.
Looking at the timestamp, this is obviously outdated, but it should work
and give you a first impression. I'm sure an updated release on Hackage
could be provided.

(Eclipse is the main platform for SugarHaskell and the other Sugar
languages, because we want to provide extensible syntax highlighting and
other editor features. The process for making the Hackage release was to
write a simple driver for the command-line interface that essentially
calls java with the right parameters, and figure out which *.jar files
from an Eclipse installation we need to bundle to make it work. The
latter was done manually, and could be done manually again for a more
recent SugarHaskell-in-Eclipse installation).

   Tillmann