[Haskell-cafe] Ported a Python script for use with Go to Haskell

Kim-Ee Yeoh ky3 at atamo.com
Sat Apr 5 11:33:51 UTC 2014

On Sat, Apr 5, 2014 at 5:21 PM, Robert Vollmert <rvollmert-lists at gmx.net>wrote:

> - clobbering the environment by prepending to an association list makes me
> wonder if that's really what happens when the variable is already defined

Yes, that does raise flags.

The haskell here:

    installEnv <- getEnvironment >>= return . (:) ("GOBIN", gOBIN)

which I'd probably write as

    installEnv <- (("GOBIN", gOBIN) :) <$> getEnvironment

doesn't match the python here:

    GOBIN = tempfile.gettempdir()
    os.environ['GOBIN'] = GOBIN

in the sense that the case for a predefined GOBIN in the environment will
lead to different results. At least I'll be surprised if otherwise.

To Matt: have you tested your haskell version? You might want to take a
look at System.Posix.Env.putenv.

-- Kim-Ee