[Haskell-cafe] Building GHC 7.6 with 7.8

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Wed Apr 2 19:41:46 UTC 2014

Hi,

I'm trying to bootstrap GHC on a new architecture (Linux arm64/aarch64).
I've been working with Karel Gardas from
https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/7942, and with a few of my own
naïve modifications on top of his patch set I've been able to bootstrap
my way to a complete working build of the ghc-7.8 git branch (that is, I
was able to cross-build on amd64 and then do a complete native build on
arm64).  arm64 hardware is still pretty rare and emulation is slow, but
I have access to some via work, so given help from somebody who knows
GHC rather better than I do I'm in a good position to get this done.

What I actually want is to see if I can get this support into Ubuntu
14.04 LTS, which is going to be released in about two weeks.  I still
just about have enough time to do this if I'm quick.  However, we
currently ship GHC 7.6.3, it's working pretty well, and I don't want to
destabilise things by trying to introduce a new version of GHC even just
for some architectures.  Thus, I've been trying to build 7.6 using 7.8.

I know this is not a supported path - it's pretty obvious from the ways
it breaks that nobody has spent much time trying to make it work.  It
seems as though it ought to be possible in theory, though, and
cross-building has improved so much in 7.8 that I really don't want to
managed to get anywhere.  I've therefore been trying to apply the
obvious tweaks like adding imports and adjusting versions in .cabal
files.  However, I've run into a roadblock, and I hope somebody here
might be able to figure out what's going on.

I've attached my current work-in-progress patch set; there's some noise
from autoreconf, and it also requires putting an updated libffi tarball
in place.  I've also attached a script(1) log of a failed build attempt.
The patch is actually slightly newer than the typescript, in that I
realised that the GHC_CONVERT_CPU output needed to be "aarch64" not
"arm64" in order for configuring libffi to work properly; this has no
material effect on the build failure, though, and I hope it doesn't
cause too much confusion.

This typescript is from a build of 7.6 with the cross-compiled
ghc-stage2.  However, I also tried the same build with the native
ghc-stage2 build that I'd bootstrapped off that, and the failure looks
basically the same to my eye.  If anyone thinks the difference might be
important then I'd be happy to prepare an updated typescript, but it
takes a while.

I'd appreciate any suggestions people might have.

Thanks,