[Haskell-cafe] Problems with Network/MVar

Gregory Collins greg at gregorycollins.net
Tue Apr 1 09:29:51 UTC 2014

On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 11:21 AM, Pierre-Étienne Meunier <
pierreetienne.meunier at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello cafe,
>
> I’m trying to run a server to synchronize a bunch of machines, and one of
> the threads keeps crashing every ~50 hours.

You seem to be throwing away the exception messages so it will be difficult
to diagnose why.

server::Config -> MVar State -> IO ()
> server config state=withSocketsDo $ do
>  installHandler sigPIPE Ignore Nothing
>  threads<-Sem.new $ maxThreads config
>  forever $ do
>        E.catch (bracket (listenOn $ port config)) sClose $
>               \sock->forever $ do
>                     (s,a,_)<-accept sock

There is a race condition here, you can get an asynchronous exception any
time after accepting the socket that would cause it to leak open. I'm
guessing you might running out of file descriptors. This whole section
should be run under "mask" and you should only unmask async exceptions when
you know you've installed a signal handler to clean up afterwards.

>                     wait threads
>                     forkIO $ (reply state s a)`finally`(signal
> threads)`E.catch`(\e->let _=e::IOException in return ())

Try "forkIOWithUnmask", same advice applies in the child thread.

Gregory Collins <greg at gregorycollins.net>