[Haskell-cafe] What class for splittable data / balanced-fold?

Ryan Newton rrnewton at gmail.com
Mon Sep 30 17:23:54 CEST 2013

Oops, this email got stuck in the pipe (flaky internet):

>    foldMap _ Tip = mempty  foldMap f (Bin _ _ v l r) = Foldable.foldMap f l `mappend` f v `mappend` Foldable.foldMap f r

Btw, from my perspective, one problem with relying on foldMap is that it
treats the whole structure uniformly, whereas the split approach would let
one, for example, bottom out to a sequential implementation at a certain
granularity.  Perhaps that is the "boilerplate for controlling recursion"
that you referred to... but isn't it sometimes necessary?

   -Ryan