[Haskell-cafe] [ANN] New OpenCV Bindings

Arjun Comar nrujac at gmail.com
Fri Sep 27 22:09:18 CEST 2013

Hi all,
I've been hard at work on a new set of OpenCV bindings that will hopefully
solve a lot of the shortcomings with previous attempts. An automatic header
parser has been used to generate a full set of Haskell bindings for the C++
API, and I'm now working to create a pleasant Haskell API. The plan is to
expose major functionality through pipes for two reasons: 1) OpenCV is not
very referentially transparent, and so you're stuck in IO for anything
non-trivial. Lazy IO is potentially problematic, and so immediate
incorporation of a proper streaming library is probably best. 2) Computer
vision algorithms are frequently expressed in terms of pipelines of
functionality, and a pipes approach can provide a very natural API for
expressing these algorithms.

At this stage, I could very much use input from anyone who's interested in
these bindings. I've got the basics of a library forming, but there's a ton
to do and help in the form of pull requests are very very welcome. I could
also use feedback on what's been done so far (especially criticisms) as
well as feature requests.

The current plan is to develop the pipes API for the core functionality.
The plan is to provide the major functionality from core, highgui, imgproc,
features2d, contrib, ml, flann, video, and objdetect as quickly as I can
before trying to cover any of the more specialized parts of the API. The
functions and types from these modules (baring a few major and important
exceptions) are automatically translated into C wrappers and raw Haskell
bindings.

If there's sufficient interest in these raw bindings separately from the
API I'm developing, I'll release them as a separate package on Hackage. I'm
calling my project revelation for the moment because I'm bad at naming
things and it was the best pun I could come up with.

Github: www.github.com/arjuncomar/revelation

Regards,
Arjun