[Haskell-cafe] Poll & plea: State of GUI & graphics libraries in Haskell

Robin KAY komadori at gekkou.co.uk
Fri Sep 27 12:26:52 CEST 2013

Hello,

Keshav Kini wrote:
[snip]
> However, there are newish bindings [2] for the Qt Quick declarative UI
> stuff that's appeared in recent Qt versions -- see the package "hsqml"
> on hackage [3]. It hasn't had any new uploads to hackage since last
> year, but there was activity on its repo as recently as yesterday
> [4]. I've yet to see any applications built on it, but it looks
> exciting.

Yes, I'm afraid I've been failing to embrace the release early release
often mantra with HsQML. I originally set myself some (fairly modest)
goals for the next release. Unfortunately, I've had less time to spend
on it than I'd like and it's delayed getting there. There has been a
fair amount of interest via e-mail, but the dearth of releases has
probably dissuaded people from using it. Also, I need to write more
documentation and provide better examples.

That said, I've got a ticket to the Haskell eXchange in London next
month and I set myself a personal deadline of making a new release
before then. So, having said that in public, I'll have to really try and
keep to it ^_^'!

The next release will add support for Qt signals, plus bug fixes and Mac
support. For the next release after that, I plan to port the library to
Qt 5.

Regards,

--
Robin KAY