[Haskell-cafe] Music update

Mark Lentczner mark.lentczner at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 21:14:39 CEST 2013

Some might remember me asking about music packages a while back... An
update:

I ended up using Euterpea, which in turn uses both Codec.Midi and
Sound.PortMidi. My working environment was to have my code loaded up in
ghci, play MIDI into a software MIDI bus, and pipe that into MainStage 3
which ran the synths.

The piece I was working on premiered last night at a concert in Wellington,
NZ. The live recording will take a while, but you can hear a studio synth
recording (from the above setup) here:

https://soundcloud.com/mtnviewmark/plain-changes-2-all-synth-mix

The code for the piece is all open source:
https://github.com/mzero/PlainChanges2. In particular, there is a somewhat
improved MIDI player<https://github.com/mzero/PlainChanges2/blob/master/src/Sound/MidiPlayer.hs>
in
there.

Enjoy!

- Mark

P.S.: Yes, and now that that's done with, I can get on with the next
Haskell Platform release!