[Haskell-cafe] An APL library for Haskell

MIMUW mgajda at mimuw.edu.pl
Mon Sep 16 16:10:02 CEST 2013

Dear Haskellers & APLers,

On 03/08/2012 02:44 PM, Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:
> Friends
>
> Many of you will know the array language APL<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APL_%28programming_language%29>.   It focuses on arrays and in particular has a rich, carefully-thought-out array algebra.
>
> An obvious idea is: what would a Haskell library that embodies APL's array algebra look like?  In conversation with John Scholes and some of his colleagues in the APL community a group of us developed some ideas for a possible API, which you can find on the Haskell wiki here: http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/APL
>
> However, we have all gone our separate ways, and I think it's entirely possible that that the idea will go no further.  So this message is to ask:
>
> *         Is anyone interested in an APL-style array library in Haskell?
>
> *         If so, would you like to lead the process of developing the API?
>
> I think there are quite a few people who would be willing to contribute, including some core gurus from the APL community: John Scholes,  Arthur Whitney, and Roger Hui.
+1

If it may also be an opportunity to think of a standard, efficient
type-class API for multidimensional arrays numeric programmers would
find a new heaven in Haskell too.

With type-level nats one could also hope to reach efficiency of FiSh or
SAC compiler (if anyone remembers these functional wonders, that used
type-level array shapes to improve efficiency of array computations
beyond that of naive C-code.)

Only one note would be that it is to be ultimately included in Haskell
Platform, one needs a more permissive licence than that of HMatrix
(since all HP packages are BSD3, I believe?)
--
  Best regards
    Michał J. Gajda