[Haskell-cafe] Hackage 2 now available for beta testing

Andreas Abel andreas.abel at ifi.lmu.de
Thu Sep 12 23:39:23 CEST 2013

On 09.09.2013 20:24, Duncan Coutts wrote:
> Well-Typed and the
Industrial Haskell Group (IHG) are very pleased
> to announce that
Hackage 2 is now available for public beta testing.

http://beta.hackage.haskell.org/new-features

> Package "candidates".
You may have noticed that package versions are
> often uploaded in quick
succession -- sometimes just minutes apart --
> because a mistake is
only noticed after the author uploaded. This
> feature lets you upload a
"candidate", giving it a URL that others
> can download from, and gives
an opportunity for build bots and
> documentation builders to try the
package out. Once the author is
> satisfied then they can publish to the
main package index. We think
> this feature is about 90% complete. See
issue #41.>

That sound so good! Thanks for putting out this
feature!

Andreas

On 2013-09-09 20:24, Duncan Coutts wrote:

Well-Typed and the Industrial Haskell Group (IHG) are very pleased to

announce that Hackage 2 is now available for public beta testing. The

plan is to do the final switchover in late September, to coincide
> with
ICFP.

> http://beta.hackage.haskell.org/ [1]
>
> Read on for details
of how to help with the public beta, an overview
> of the new features
and what the IHG has been doing to help.

> Support from the
Industrial Haskell Group

> The IHG is a consortium of companies that rely on Haskell. The IHG

members have funded the effort to get Hackage 2 up to feature parity

and get it ready for the switchover. The IHG funded this effort
because
> while the volunteer effort got us the "first 90%" of the way
there
> (including adding a number of new features) there was still the
"last
> 90%" to do to get it production ready.
>
> The IHG members
decided to fund Hackage 2 not just because they are
> good citizens, but
out of enlightened self-interest. Hackage has over
> 5000 packages
written by over 1000 people -- including the world's best
> Haskell
developers. This is a massive resource. The IHG members
> recognise that
improvements to the tools and infrastructure that the
> community uses
helps the community to produce more and better code.
> This is a benefit
to everyone in the community -- including the
> commercial users.

The IHG is keen to increase its membership so that more resources can

be dedicated to improving the Haskell development platform. If your

organisation relies on Haskell in some way then you may want to

consider joining. See the IHG website for more details or contact

info at industry.haskell.org.

http://industry.haskell.org/ [2]

> Despite the help of the IHG in
getting to this point, Hackage is a
> community project, and its success
depends on the community maintaining
> and further improving the new
server. The code is now on github so it
> is easier to contribute, and
now that the server is live there is more
> immediate gratification for
volunteers contributing fixes and new

===========

> We would like to encourage you to take part in the
public beta testing.
> We need help both from package authors as well as
other users of the
> site.
>
> Please report any problems you find
using the issue tracker on the

tracker]: https://github.com/haskell/hackage-server/issues [3]
site]: https://github.com/haskell/hackage-server [4]

> We are
mirroring packages from the old server (every 30min) so it is
> suitable
to use as your main hackage server with some caveats: we are
> allowing
package authors to upload (as well as doing the mirroring) so
> you may
find a slightly different set of packages on this server.

> If you
are a package author then you are welcome to poke about and
> upload
packages. We have imported user accounts from the old server
> (except
for a small number of early adopters of the original server who
> will
need to contact an administrator). Note that before we do the
> final
switchover we will *delete everything* from the beta instance
> and do a
fresh import from the old hackage server.

> Configuring
cabal-install
> -------------------------
>
> Edit your ~/.cabal/config
file. Comment-out the existing "remote-repo"
> line near the top of the
file and add in a new one like this:

> --remote-repo:
hackage.haskell.org:http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive [5]

remote-repo: beta.hackage.haskell.org:http://beta.hackage.haskell.org/
[1]

> New features
> ============
>
> Though our main priority has
been feature parity so that we can switch
> over, volunteers have
contributed several new features, including
> better package search, a
new site theme, improved security, the ability
> to fix package
dependencies after a release, changelogs, and a
> REST-style
interface.

> See the beta site for more details on these new
features, plus details
> of other features that are partially
implemented or are in need of

http://beta.hackage.haskell.org/new-features [6]

> Contributing to
the development
> ===============================
>
> The code is on
github and we welcome pull requests.

> There are open tickets
describing existing bugs and features that we
> want or that are in need
of improvement. Help on any of these would be
> greatly appreciated.
>

> There is some developer and user documentation on the github wiki,

including a quick guide to getting your own server instance up and

running.

> You can ask questions on the cabal-devel mailing list or
on IRC in

https://github.com/haskell/hackage-server/wiki [7]
> [cabal-devel]:

Andreas