[Haskell-cafe] [Haskell] Hackage 2 now available for beta testing

Duncan Coutts duncan at well-typed.com
Tue Sep 10 15:33:05 CEST 2013

On Tue, 2013-09-10 at 12:10 +0100, Ross Paterson wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 09, 2013 at 07:23:59PM +0100, Duncan Coutts wrote:
> > Well-Typed and the Industrial Haskell Group (IHG) are very pleased to
> > announce that Hackage 2 is now available for public beta testing. The
> > plan is to do the final switchover in late September, to coincide
> > with ICFP.
> >
> > http://beta.hackage.haskell.org/
>
> What's the story with haddock documentation?  I see that some packages
> have docs imported from the old server, some have newly generated docs,
> and some have none, but no indication whether a bot has tried to build
> it or not.

Right, for old docs we imported it (building the really old packages is
rather tricky). The doc builder (hackage-build) is a client included in
the hackage-server package.

The doc builder does keep track of which packages it cannot build. That
information is reported via the build report mechanism, so we can
actually end up with many reports (from different clients) that a
package failed to build. Currently we do not present any of the build
report info on the site. While we can link to the raw build results,
what we really need is a way to digest the build reports and turn it
into useful info.

> There's mention of maintainer uploads of docs as a fallback,
> but I couldn't find where one would do that.  (It would also need to
> document the flags needed to get the links right.)

It's not yet well documented, but one can figure it out from the API
page:

http://beta.hackage.haskell.org/api#documentation-core

/package/:package/docs
      * GET: tar -- Download documentation
      * PUT: tar -- Upload documentation

That is, you can currently upload the doc tarball using a client like
curl -X PUT.

Yes, we'd need documentation to tell maintainers how to get the links
set up right.

--
Duncan Coutts, Haskell Consultant