[Haskell-cafe] FLTK GUI Binding in progress. Call for participation.

aditya siram aditya.siram at gmail.com
Sun Sep 8 23:39:05 CEST 2013

Hi all,
I'm working on a FLTK [1] GUI binding [2]. The attraction of FLTK is that
it is portable across many platforms, meaning it is easy to:
1. provide a binary for your application that works without installing
anything else. eg. no need to install X on Mac. Just double-click!
2. develop on other platforms because both the library and the bindings
have few dependencies and compile from scratch without a fuss.
3. provide native solutions that don't require the browser.

To my knowledge no current bindings have all those advantages.

Most of the work of wrapping the C++ in C is done and a number of the
examples that ship with FLTK have been ported to C and seem to be
compatible.

I have only just started the Haskell bindings.

This is a great time to:
1. help with the low-level porting. Most of it is just busy work.
2. significantly influence what the Haskelly abstraction layer will look
like.
3. tell me if I'm doing something wrong in the C/C++ code. I'm a newbie to
both languages. I've learned what I needed to know to get this far.

Thanks for your attention.
-deech

[1] http://www.fltk.org/index.php
[2] http://github.com/deech/fltkhs