[Haskell-cafe] ANN: Cabal v1.18.0 released

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Thu Sep 5 17:16:01 CEST 2013

I ran into another oddity due to old build artifacts today -- it was easy
to fix, but very confusing; cabal repl was exiting with "unrecognised
command: repl".

tl/dr; if you see this, delete the old 'dist' dir and re-run 'cabal
configure'.

Here's a snippit of my shell session to explain in more detail:

$ cabal sandbox init
 $ cabal --version
cabal-install version 1.18.0
using version 1.18.0 of the Cabal library
 $ cabal configure
Resolving dependencies...
Configuring pgftransform-0.0.0.1...
 $ cabal repl
unrecognised command: repl (try --help)
 $ cabal --help
Commands:
  build        Compile all targets or specific targets.
  repl         Open an interpreter session for the given target.
  sandbox      Create/modify/delete a sandbox.

Note that cabal --version and cabal --help indicated that repl /was/ a
valid command.

The issue appears to be that an old dist directory was still hanging
around, and (I suspect) the compiled setup.hs build program (which would
have been built with an old Cabal) was causing the actual error.  Deleting
the dist dir and re-running cabal configure set everything right.

--Rogan