[Haskell-cafe] [Haskell] Call for Contributions - Haskell Communities and Activities Report, November 2013 edition

Alberto G. Corona agocorona at gmail.com
Tue Oct 29 22:13:14 UTC 2013

Hi Janis: This is my report about MFlow:

MFlow is an innovative, Web framework of  the kind of other functional,
stateful frameworks like WASH(†) , Seaside Ocsigen or Racket. But MFlow
does not use continuation passing, but a backtracking monad that carries
out the synchronization of browser request and server process execution
state. This monad is on top of another "Workflow" monad that add effects of
logging and recovery of process/session state. Both are managed by an
application server that dispatch each request to the appropriate server
process. In case of timeout, the process is restarted using the state
recovering mechanism.

The logs generated are very small, so MFlow solves the problems of fat
serializaitions associated with stateful frameworks. Like the
continuation-based frameworks. MFlow invert back the inversion of control,
so, cotrary to MVC frameworks, programming multipage web application is
simple and natural.  At the same time MFlow is RESTful compliant. Not only
the URL use the REST style, but also any GET page in the stateful flow can
be pointed to with a REST URL.  That is unique for an stateful WF.

Additionally, besides, applicative formlets it also implement monadic
formlets by means of a page monad, that permits to dynamically change the
page content  and input fields depending on the  user input.  That is
called "page flows". Independent widgets can have its own flow within a
page.

HTML layout and text content can be added and modified later at runtime
using a wysiwyg tool, so there may be a complete separation of layout and
logic if wished.

Other features are widget autorefreshing in the page via implicit Ajax,
level-2 widgets (widgets that contain widgets), integration with
Persistent, integration of AWS.  JQuery integration, WAI integration.
blaze-html integration. push and complete execution traces for errors
(thanks to the backtracking monad).

MFlow has facilities for single page developments, that would need a lot of
 client side javascript has been packaged as composable haskell elements
that uses ajax internally to create dynamic interfaces that are type safe.

It may be considered the continuation of the great WASH framework.

More information:

There is a site, made using MFlow which includes demos at:

http://mflowdemo.herokuapp.com

Alberto.