[Haskell-cafe] fcntl locks, executeFile and threaded runtime

Donn Cave donn at avvanta.com
Mon Oct 28 18:13:59 UTC 2013

Quoth diego souza,
> The following one is quite interesting, though. The moment I insert
> the threadDelay function (like in the previous example), it fails some
> times (it seems to have something to do with cpu idleness). I guess
> this this explains why the previous version didn't work properly for
> me:

For me, this example kind is of ambiguous.  I thought it seemed clear enough
from your earlier results, that executeFile played some role in the problem,
but in this example the two locking forks are parallel, and it's entirely
possible that both lock syscalls will complete before either executeFile has
finished or even begun, so ... unless I'm missing something (again!) I guess
I would say this calls for a lot more tests to verify that you have this
problem only with executeFile, and not with, say, a Haskell fork that does
the same thing (sleep and exit.)

By the way, I haven't been able to duplicate the problem with 6.12.3 on MacOS.

	Donn