[Haskell-cafe] about learning haskell

Albert Y. C. Lai trebla at vex.net
Sat Oct 26 18:07:26 UTC 2013

On 13-10-26 08:34 AM, swrangsar basumatary wrote:
> i know what is a monad now. but i still have problems understanding the
> continuation monad and arrows.

When one day you become interested in a problem that can be suitably
solved by the continuation monad, you will understand the continuation
monad. Ditto for arrows.

> Also is it necessary to know category theory to be a good haskell
> programmer?

I will use a parable. Does a successful businessman know economics
theory? (Allow me to define "successful businessman" as "maximizes
profit under constraints from reality, laws, culture, and even a bit of
morality".)

That depends on what is meant by "know economics theory".

To some people, it requires knowing the words "maximize profit under
constraints". Then the businessman probably doesn't "know economics
theory" --- he/she probably doesn't know what that idea is called.

To some other people, it means knowing the idea, not necessarily the
wording, of maximizing profit under constraints. Then the businessman
not only knows that idea, he/she is also implementing it, and
implementing it right.