[Haskell-cafe] Eternal Compatibility in Theory

Corentin Dupont corentin.dupont at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 12:47:10 UTC 2013

Hi Café,
I've read the Eternal Compatibility in Theory article [1], is anyone
actually using it?
I don't see it discussed very much on the internet. My biggest concern
about it is that it would be a real pollution in the code, because you must
import every module with its version number, i.e.
*
*
*import Data.Maybe_1*
instead of *
**import Data.Maybe*

Thus poluting a lot with version numbers, which are not relevant to what
the source code should aim at: help the reader understand it.
Secondly, does it means that, as the developper of a package, I have to
leave all the previous versions of a module in that package?
I.e: Maybe_1.hs, Maybe_2.hs would have to stay in my package? This seems to
be very polluting and redundant.

So the proposition seems to be "versionning and dependency management are a
problem, so let's remove the problem by leaving all previous versions in
the package".
Did I misunderstood something?

Cheers,
Corentin