[Haskell-cafe] Proposal for a standard collection of algorithms/Data structures in haskell

satvik chauhan mystic.satvik at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 13:56:03 UTC 2013

Stable hackage is quiet similar but has a different philosophy of solving
the dependency problems with hackage. I am not proposing to cover all the
functionalities of boost but leaning towards following a similar
philosophy. We could start with libraries covering functionality of c++ stl
(some of them are already implemented in containers) and then see where
this goes. I know it requires real hard work and dedication and thats why I
raised this as a community proposal to see if people are actually
interested.

-SC

On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 6:51 PM, Johannes Waldmann <
waldmann at imn.htwk-leipzig.de> wrote:

> satvik chauhan <mystic.satvik <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I am inclined more towards Boost like set of libraries.
>
> For reference, http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_54_0/
>
> It's not only "algorithms and data structures" -
> it also contains Filesystem, System, Interprocess etc.
>
> Perhaps "stable hackage" goes in this direction?
> http://www.yesodweb.com/blog/2012/11/stable-vetted-hackage
>
> Reading the Boost FAQ and History might prove useful,
> ( http://www.boost.org/users/proposal.pdf )
> as perhaps the process could be emulated.
>
> One way or the other - such a plan needs dedication,
> but also hard resources (time, money).
>
> Looks like a task for http://industry.haskell.org/
> but of course they decide where they put their money.
> And they do, e.g., they sponsor Hackage(2)
>
> - J.W.

Satvik Chauhan
Fourth Year Under Graduate Student
Deptt. of Computer Science and Engineering
Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur
Kanpur-208016, INDIA
Email: mystic.satvik at gmail.com , satvikc at iitk.ac.in