[Haskell-cafe] typeclass to select a list element

Richard Eisenberg eir at cis.upenn.edu
Sun Oct 13 02:47:12 UTC 2013

Yes, it's possible, but it's rather painful.

Here is my working attempt, written to be compatible with GHC 7.6.3. Better ones may be possible, but I'm doubtful.

> {-# LANGUAGE TemplateHaskell, RankNTypes, TypeFamilies, TypeOperators,
>              DataKinds, ScopedTypeVariables, GADTs, PolyKinds #-}
>
> module ListNat where
>
> import Data.Singletons
>
> $(singletons [d|
>   data Nat = Zero | Succ Nat deriving Eq
>   |])
>
> -- in HEAD, these next two are defined in Data.Type.Equality
> data a :~: b where
>   Refl :: a :~: a
>
> gcastWith :: (a :~: b) -> ((a ~ b) => r) -> r
> gcastWith Refl x = x
>
> -- functionality that subsumes this will be in the next release of singletons
> reifyNatEq :: forall (m :: Nat) (n :: Nat). ((m :==: n) ~ True, SingI m, SingI n) => m :~: n
> reifyNatEq =
>   case (sing :: Sing m, sing :: Sing n) of
>     (SZero, SZero) -> Refl
>     (SSucc (_ :: Sing m'), SSucc (_ :: Sing n')) ->
>       gcastWith (reifyNatEq :: (m' :~: n')) Refl
>     _ -> bugInGHC   -- this is necessary to prevent a spurious warning from GHC
>
> data family X (n::Nat) :: *
>
> data L (n::Nat) where
>     Q :: L (Succ n) -> X n -> L n
>     E :: L n
>
> extract :: SingI n => L Zero -> X n
> extract = aux
>   where
>     aux :: forall m n. (SingI m, SingI n) => L m -> X n
>     aux list =
>       case ((sing :: Sing m) %==% (sing :: Sing n), list) of
>         (_,      E)         -> error "Desired element does not exist"
>         (STrue,  Q _ datum) -> gcastWith (reifyNatEq :: (m :~: n)) datum
>         (SFalse, Q rest _)  -> aux rest
>
> update :: forall n. SingI n => L Zero -> (X n -> X n) -> L Zero
> update list upd = aux list
>   where
>     aux :: forall m. SingI m => L m -> L m
>     aux list =
>       case ((sing :: Sing m) %==% (sing :: Sing n), list) of
>         (_, E) -> error "Desired element does not exist"
>         (STrue, Q rest datum) -> gcastWith (reifyNatEq :: (m :~: n)) (Q rest (upd datum))
>         (SFalse, Q rest datum) -> Q (aux rest) datum

Why is this so hard? There are two related sources of difficulty. The first is that `extract` and `update` require *runtime* information about the *type* parameter `n`. But, types are generally erased during compilation. So, the way to get the data you need is to use a typeclass (as your subject line suggests). The other source of difficulty is that you need to convince GHC that you've arrived at the right element when you get there; otherwise, your code won't type-check. The way to do this is, in my view, singletons.

For better or worse, your example requires checking the equality of numbers at a value other than Zero. The singletons library doesn't do a great job of this, which is why we need the very clunky reifyNatEq. I'm hoping to add better support for equality-oriented operations in the next release of singletons.

I'm happy to explain the details of the code above, but it might be better as Q&A instead of me just trying to walk through it -- there's a lot of gunk to stare at there!

I hope this helps,
Richard