[Haskell-cafe] Any precedent or plan for guaranteed-safe Eq and Ord instances?

Tillmann Rendel rendel
Sun Oct 6 22:54:18 UTC 2013

Hi,

Ryan Newton wrote:
>It is very hard for me to
> see why people should be able to make their own Generic instances (that
> might lie about the structure of the type), in Safe-Haskell.

I guess that lying Generics instances might arise because of software
evolution. Let's say we start with an abstract data type of binary trees.

   module Tree (Tree, node, empty, null, split) where
     data Tree a = Node (Tree a) (Tree a) | Empty
       deriving Generics

     node = Node

     empty = Empty

     null Empty = True
     null _ = False

     split (Node a b) = (a, b)

     size Empty = 0
     size (Node x y) = size x + size y

Note that this data type is not really abstract, because we export the
Generics instance, so clients of this module can learn about the
implementation of Tree. This is not a big deal, because the chosen
implementation happens to correspond to the abstract structure of binary
trees anyway. So I would expect that generic code will work fine. For
example, you could use generic read and show functions to serialize
trees, and get a reasonable data format.

Now, we want to evolve our module by caching the size of trees. We do
something like this:

   module Tree (Tree, node, empty, null, split) where
     data Tree a = Tree !Int (RealTree a)

     data RealTree a = Node (Tree a) (Tree a) | Empty

     tree (Node a b) = Tree (size a + size b) t
     tree Empty = Tree 0 Empty

     node x y = tree (Node x y)

     empty = tree Empty

     null (Tree _ Empty) = True
     null _ = False

     split (Tree _ (Node a b)) = (a, b)

     size (Tree n _) = n

Except for the Generics instance, we provide the exact same interface
and behavior to our clients, we just traded some space for performance.
But what Generics instance should we provide? If we just add "deriving
Generics" to the two datatypes, we leak the change of representation to
our clients. For example, a client that serialized a tree with a generic
show function based on the old Tree cannot hope to deserialize it back
with a generic read function based on the new Tree. The size information
would be missing, and the structure would be different.

If we write a Generics instance by hand, however, I guess we can make it
present the exact same structure as the derived Generics instance for
the old Tree. With this lying instance, the generic read function will
happily deserialize the old data. The size will be computed on the fly,
because our hand-written Generics instance will introduce calls to our
smart constructors.

   Tillmann