[Haskell-cafe] Master thesis project - Haskell STM

Ryan Yates fryguybob at gmail.com
Thu Nov 28 13:53:08 UTC 2013

Hi Johan,

As Carter mentioned I am working on speeding up GHC's STM implementation
using TSX.  I can certainly give you some pointers on how the STM
implementation works and on using TSX.  I'm quite busy at the moment but
feel free to ask me any questions.  I think some of the difficulty in a
project like this is coming up with good benchmarks.  In a large amount of
the real world use of GHC's STM, the STM part is not used heavily enough to
be the bottleneck in performance.  Benchmarks that would show improvements
are largely uses of STM that are different from the typical use.

Ryan