[Haskell-cafe] Return of the revenge of the revisit of the extensible records, reiterated

adam vogt vogt.adam at gmail.com
Tue Nov 26 21:00:06 UTC 2013

Hi Atze,

The following code I come up with using your
variants is unsatisfying for a couple reasons
I explain below:

case inj (Label :: Label "x") 1 of
    v | Left one <- decomp (Label :: Label "x") v -> one :: Double
    _ -> 5 -- aside: any guarantees about this being unreachable?

First, decomp is like lookup to me, so I expected the Right
constructor for when that lookup succeeds.

Second, (Label :: Label "x") is a pretty unacceptable way to write
what is just x in other languages. One idea would be to
follow <http://hackage.haskell.org/package/HList-0.3.0.1/docs/Data-HList-Labelable.html>
and create values/labels which will do something like:

 x .=. 1 -- call to inj perhaps?

 v ^? x  -- call to decomp

Another idea is to make `x stand for (Label :: Label "x"),
much like 'x and ''x in template haskell. Trying out
a good syntax by using a quasiquoter or preprocessor
before getting something into ghc is probably worth doing.
One example that has not been as useful as originally
thought it would be is:
<http://hackage.haskell.org/package/HList-0.3.0.1/docs/Data-HList-RecordPuns.html>

Third, I think the literal 1 needs a type annotation, but
it should be possible for it to be constrained to Double.

On a somewhat related note, would your strategy of
having sorted labels give better compile times for
for code which uses records that are a bit larger
than a toy example:
<http://code.haskell.org/~aavogt/xmonad-hlist/>

Regards,
Adam Vogt