[Haskell-cafe] IDE

Dario Bertini berdario at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 13:13:10 UTC 2013

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 12:05 PM, Mateusz Kowalczyk
<fuuzetsu at fuuzetsu.co.uk> wrote:
> You're almost certainly wasting more time by not using any IDE-ish
> features that you could set up than you would take setting it up.

as long as haskell is your go-to language, and barely use anything
else... and you don't have a non standard setup (like, non-posix
shell)... and you don't stumble upon some bugs in IDE-ish
functionality that barely anyone use

I agree

otherwise, emacs is the triumph of yak-shaving :/

> Nowadays, with a recent-enough emacs you can do ‘M-x install-package’
> which does everything for you. There's also ‘M-x customize’ which allows
> you to change all the various package options in an interface.

just a small note to other haskell+emacs newbs like myself:

to get the same functionality by installing haskell-mode from inside
emacs as you get by installing the haskell-mode ubuntu package, you'll
probably need to add to your init.el the following:

(add-hook 'haskell-mode-hook 'turn-on-haskell-indentation)
(add-hook 'haskell-mode-hook 'turn-on-haskell-doc-mode)

while we are at it, is there any way to get the doc-mode working
correctly with value outside Prelude?

for example, after hiding try from the Prelude and importing
Text.Parsec, in the minibuffer I get

try :: IO a -> IO (Either IOErrror a)

instead of the correct

try :: ParsecT s u m a -> ParsecT s u m a

thanks